Lindt EXCELLENCE Chocolate Eggnog
A delicious twist on a holiday favourite.
A homemade batch of this festive tipple is perfect for enjoying around the tree or packaging in reusable bottles as a thoughtful gift or party favour.
78% Cocoa Dark Chocolate EXCELLENCE Bar (3.5 oz)
- 1 bar (100 g) Lindt EXCELLENCE 78% Cacao Dark Chocolate, melted
- 6 eggs, separated and divided
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) granulated sugar
- A pinch salt
- 6 cups (1.5 L) whole milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35% cream
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) dark rum (optional)
- (To taste) freshly grated nutmeg
- Melt chocolate in a microwave or double boiler.
- Whisk yolks with sugar and salt in a large bowl until smooth. Pour in milk and cream and whisk until fully combined.
- Transfer to a large pot and set over medium heat. Add cinnamon sticks. Cook, whisking often, until mixture reaches 180 deg F (82 deg C) on an instant read thermometer, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and discard cinnamon sticks.
- Whisk in melted chocolate until no chocolate flecks remain.
- If adding alcohol, stir in 1 1/2 cups dark rum into chilled eggnog base. (If you prefer to keep the bulk of the batch non-alcoholic, you can add a single shot per glass upon request.)
- Transfer to a clean bowl and cover surface with plastic wrap. Chill completely, at least 3 hours or preferably overnight.
- Remove the eggnog base from the refrigerator. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat reserved egg whites until stiff peaks form, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Whisk eggnog base until smooth. In 3 additions, gently stir egg whites into chilled eggnog base until no streaks of egg white remain. Serve immediately with freshly grated nutmeg or chill until ready to use.