EASY CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
78% Cocoa Dark Chocolate EXCELLENCE Bar (3.5 oz)
- 1 Tsp (5 mL) White vinegar
- ½ Cup (125 mL) Milk
- 1 Cup (250 mL) Flour
- 1 ¼ Cups (310 mL) Sugar
- ⅓ Cup (80 mL) Unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
- ½ Tsp (3 mL) Baking soda
- ¼ Tsp (1.25 mL) Baking powder
- 1 Tsp (5 mL) Vanilla extract
- ¼ Tsp (1.25 mL) Salt
- 2 Large eggs
- ½ Cup (125 mL) Vegetable oil
- 1 Bar (100 g) Lindt Excellence 78% Cocoa Dark Chocolate, chopped
- 1 Bar (100 g) Lindt Excellence 85% Cocoa Dark Chocolate, chopped
- 3 Sticks Unsalted butter (125 g each), room temperature
- 5-6 Cups (250 mL per cup) Icing sugar, well sifted
- ½ Cup (125 mL) Heavy cream, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Add 1 tsp (5 mL) of white vinegar to a ½ cup (125 mL) of milk and allow to sit for 1 minute.
- Place the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla and salt in a bowl and blend until well incorporated. Add the eggs, milk and vinegar mixture, and vegetable oil to the bowl and mix well with a spatula until no dry bits remain.
- Add in the chopped chocolate and stir to combine, but do not overmix.
- Using paper-lined muffin tin (paper baking cups), scoop the batter evenly among the 12 units. Place the muffin tin in the oven on the center rack and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until the cake bounces back when you touch it gently (oven temperatures vary so the best way to test doneness is when a cake springs back when touched). Let cool completely before frosting.
- Melt chocolate. Set aside.
- Place the butter in the bowl of a kitchen stand mixer and, using the paddle attachment, mix on medium speed for 5 minutes or until creamy. Add in ½ cup of sugar at a time alternating with a tablespoon of the heavy cream.
- Once all is incorporated add in the melted and cooled chocolate and blend for an additional 3-4 minutes on medium. If the frosting is too soft to pipe add a little bit more sugar. If it is too heavy, add a bit more cream. (Weather and indoor temperature can affect the consistency of the frosting.)
- To frost the cupcakes, either use a soup spoon and dollop on a heaping portion using the back of the spoon to make a swirl, or, using a rubber spatula, place all the frosting into a piping bag with your preferred tip and pipe frosting directly onto the 12 cakes. Keeps for 4 days in a tightly sealed container.